Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More Strong Beer - Second Magnolia Visit

I made a brief return to Magnolia in order to try a couple of more beers - and numb the pain of twisting my ankle yet again. The beers proved to be excellent pain inhibitors.
First up was Smokestack Lightning Imperial Stout (10%). It was very roasty with almost a bit of tannin in the mouth feel. I was at first reminded of a wine, though the beer was decently balanced. I think that the alcohol really comes through which led me to the wine flavors.
Second was the Promised Land Imperial IPA (10%) It was super grassy, slightly citrusy, hoppy goodness. With amber color, a good body, and a bit more carbonation than some of the other strong beers, this is a very good beer. An excellent send off prior to our trip to the East Coast.

No comments: