Thursday, January 9, 2014

Drunken Botanist Recipes

Fortune shined on me this holiday season as I received a copy of the Drunken Botanist. I'm learning all about the plants that contribute to so much joy and happiness. It has re-kindled the cocktail drinker in me...at least to a small degree.

I'm going to keep track of the recipes that I try here - maybe I won't forget them.  First up...

The Blood Orange Sidecar.
  • 1.5 oz cognac or brandy
  • 0.75 oz blood orange juice
  • 0.5 oz Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur (or another citrus liqueur like triple sec)
  • Dash of Angostura bitters
  • Thin slice of blood orange for garnish
  1. Shake the first three ingredients over ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
  2. Add a dash of bitters, garnish with orange
This was really tasty.  I used Triple Sec and Cognac and the proportions were great.  It was a melody in my mouth.  I did try a variation and used whisky (Jim Beam) in place of the cognac and it was not quite as good, though still tasty.

 

No comments: