Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Calgary baseball

The past ten days or so have been extraordinarily busy, and it was all kicked off with a short trip up to Calgary for a few days of work, or I should say, business meetings. I sure don't want any Canadian immigration/customs officials coming after me for erroneously stating the purpose of my visit up north.

While in Calgary, I didn't have much free time, but a few key facts meant that I was able to make the time for a quick minor league baseball excursion. Most importantly the weather was absolutely awesome - blue skies, scattered clouds, and mildly warm temperatures. Plus, I happened to be staying within walking distance of the baseball park. Then the most important part, there actually was a game scheduled for one of the nights that I was there.

So on Tuesday evening, I took a walk over to the stadium to see the Calgary Vipers take on the Edmonton Capitals in an independent Golden League game. It was not a pitching or defensive showcase. Lots of hits and runs plus quite a few fielding mistakes let the game drag on for quite a while. I didn't stick around for the whole game, but it was refreshing to relax outside on a nice evening and watch some baseball.

The only disappointing part of the evening was that the selection of beer consisted of cans of Budweiser, Bud Light, and Kokanee. I chose Kokanee, but it's a pale yellow, mild tasting, fizzy beer that's a little more unique that a can of Bud. It was better than nothing.


No comments: